Public Investment

Public investment by the Town of Pulaski was most visible at the intersection of Commerce Street and South Washington Avenue. The refurbishing of the Maple Shade Plaza begun by the Town of Pulaski and continued by Pulaski County resulted in the shopping center being configured and upgraded for a variety of private businesses and Pulaski County offices. 

In 2008, the Town completed the New River Trail Extension, which linked the Pulaski Train Depot with the New River Trail. The 2.5 mile trail extension allows hikers and bikers to get on the trail at the train depot and go directly to Galax via the New River Trail. 

New River Trail ExtensionThe loss of the Pulaski Train Depot to a disastrous fire in November 2008 spurred the reconstruction of the historic facility, which was completed in 2011. The station was reconfigured as a meeting facility for use by the public and as a place of business for persons renting bicycles to use on the trail. Furthermore, the structure was rebuilt to the exact specifications and appearance of the previous structure so the building would retain its place on the National Register of Historic Places.

Old PulaskiThe station fire also resulted in the construction of a new Raymond F. Ratcliffe Transportation Museum next to the Maple Shade Plaza. Featured by the museum is an O Scale model railroad replica of the Town as it appeared in the mid-1950's. Also featured are antique vehicles and numerous exhibits of artifacts both donated and salvaged from the station fire. 
Town of Pulaski | All Rights Reserved | Powered By CivicLive | © 2021 Intrado Corporation